As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fancy enough for company! And a great way to use leftovers.
This meal is actually a leftovers story.I had so many things I wanted to use up before I forgot about them and they went bad–a continuing story around here.To start out, I had a little bit of roast chicken breast meat that would probably be about 1 cup chopped. I also had tag ends of bagged shredded cheese all over the fridge and not to mention a darned brick pack of chopped spinach that kept falling out of my freezer and onto my foot each time I opened the freezer door–hey, that HAD to go!!
I also had a half jar of marinara sauce that I had to keep moving around in the fridge–get the idea? Oh, and that half package of lasagna noodles in the cupboard that was taking up space….I waste FAR too much food and like most folks, I don’t have money to burn so I really want to use this stuff, not throw it out.OK, I did open a jar of alfredo sauce I’d bought because I wanted to see what it tasted like (I make my own all the time), and I did have a large container of ricotta I’d just bought.Bottom line is I didn’t care too much for that alfredo sauce, probably from being spoiled and making my own, so I mixed it with a bit of the marinara and found it improved the taste, so I used it.
But upon making these again, I’d either use all marinara or better yet, make my own rich, fattening and PACKED WITH CHEESE alfredo!BTW, dish can be made entirely meatless if the chicken is left out.
Cheesy Lasagna Rolls
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded asiago
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken optional
- 26 oz marinara sauce (see notes)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella for topping
- Cook lasagna noodles per package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Squeeze all the water out of the spinach. Best way to do this is squeezing by hand I take small handfuls at a time and really squeeze the heck out of it. Place squeezed spinach in a. large bowl.
- Add the ricotta, shredded cheeses, salt, pepper and chicken to the spinach and blend well. Add the beaten egg and mix thoroughly.
- Place about 1/2 cup of any sauce you use in the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baker; spread across the bottom.
- Place about 1/3-1/2 cup of the spinach mixture onto each lasagna noodle, spreading it out and leaving about 1/2 inch at one end of the noodle without any filling. Roll up, rolling towards the unfilled end. Place seam side down in prepared pan. Repeat.
- Pour remaining sauce over rolls in pan, taking care to cover the tops of the rolls with sauce. Distribute the 1/2 cup of mozzarella for topping evenly over rolls.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 30-40 minutes.