As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
When the family is begging for lasagna, but you only have a few lone noodles, make this skillet version!
You Never Use The Whole Box
Any time I make a lasagna, I always have a couple of leftover uncooked noodles in the box. This is something I think happens to everyone because most folks use 9-12 noodles and there’s 15 in a box.
I never throw them out; I save them to add to the next box I buy. At some point, you use all the lasagna noodles.
But what happens when the family is begging you for lasagna and you’re stuck with just those 3-4 orphaned noodles?
Skillet Lasagna To The Rescue
Here’s a great way to use up those straggler noodles!
All you have to do is break the noodles up into 1-2-inch pieces and there’ll be plenty to go around. You can either cook them in the same skillet or boil them and drain them to add them cooked.
This skillet version of lasagna has no loss of flavor. It tastes like the traditional casserole except it’s deconstructed. Most times regular lasagna doesn’t stay in the nice stacked layers once you plate it and it ends up looking just like this deconstructed skillet version.
This recipe is pretty basic, but you can get fancy if you have a bit of ricotta or cottage cheese. Just drop some of that by the spoonful at random places. I know many folks who dislike both of those cheeses, so it’s not necessary to add them. But if you have either one and the family likes it, well, go ahead!
About The Meat
Ground beef is the basic meat in this, but when I make a traditional lasagna, I simply love Italian sausage mixed in. That’s what I did here, and I used hot Italian sausage. It really adds a kick!
Again, if Italian sausage is something you have on hand, use it here. It adds great flavor.
- 1 lb lean ground beef see NOTES
- 3-4 uncooked lasagna noodles see NOTES
- 1 lb Italian sausage see NOTES
- 1 jar 26-28 oz marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella divided
- Break lasagna noodles into pieces about 1-2-inches big. Boil according to package directions, about 8-10 minutes total--you want them a little undercooked because they'll finish off in the skillet.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and the italian sausage (if using) and brown well; drain the fat from the pan.
- Add the marinara sauce and the water. Heat till boiling then add 1/2 of the mozzarella and the Parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add the cooked noodle pieces and stir into the meat/sauce mixture. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheese, then cover and cook until cheese is melted -OR- pop the skillet (ONLY IF IT"S ENTIRELY OVENPROOF) under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.