As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Sausage and Pepper “Pie”|
This savory “pie” is very much like a calzone. Filled with oodles of cheese, green pepper, onion and Italian sausage, your family will ask for seconds!
Originally what I wanted to make here was Italian sausage and Provolone cheese wrapped in a crescent roll, but that just was not happening today.
When I opened the cans (and I have a slight phobia about that–but happily found out I’m FAR from alone there), instead of getting 2 nice “rolls” of dough coming out of the package, it was tacky and sticky and immediately fell into the triangles or parts of the triangle. The seam where you could unroll was non-existent too; and both cans were like this.
|A rustic looking pie|
I wasn’t going to waste them and was glad I remembered seeing something similar on one of my food sites where someone used biscuit dough and filled it with Velveeta and bacon. I do remember that person saying you could use crescents instead of biscuits.
Green bell peppers were on sale last week so I had them and even though they weren’t part of the original plan, with this “pie” I just felt I had to give it more flavor and what goes great with sausage but peppers and onions?
It’s pretty easy to pat out the bottom layer of the crescents and seal all the seams too. The top is a little more challenging because you’re not working on a flat surface, but don’t worry–having a few holes or thin parts there actually make the pie look better! It looks rustic and de-constructed!
|Packed with cheese|
The flavor was unbelievably good and I’m always glad when I can pull a near disaster from the jaws of death–and find you have a “keeper.”
Sausage and Pepper "Pie"
- 2 12 oz pkgs large-size crescent rolls (8 rolls in a pkg)
- 8 oz mozzarella shredded or sliced
- 6 slices aged Provolone
- 1 lb cooked Italian sausage*
- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- *Hot, sweet or specially flavored is fine. If you’re using links, cut into 1/4-inch slices. If using bulk sausage, brown and drain.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large (15 x 10-inch) baking sheet with parchment.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Saute the bell pepper and onions about 5 minutes, or until the onion turns translucent.
- Pat one package (do NOT separate into individual rolls) of the crescent roll dough into a rectangle on prepared baking sheet, sealing seams.
- Layer the cheeses on top of the roll dough. Spread the sausage evenly over the cheese. Spread peppers and onions over the sausage.
- Open remaining rolls–again do NOT separate. Lay them across the top of the “pie” sealing seams and ends as best you can–it’s OK if it looks a bit “rustic.”
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on the top “crust.”
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until roll dough is golden brown.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.