As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Delicious chicken sautéed in a white vermouth or wine sauce with mushrooms. Try cooking with vermouth for that special flavor..
The Next Level Of Sautéed Chicken: Cooking With Vermouth
A little while ago, I posted a recipe for a basic sautéed chicken. It’s delicious just as is but remember I said it was a “master recipe” and that you could make much with it?
Well, this is one of those recipes! In fact, this takes that basic master recipe in an upward direction. This one you add stuff to and make a little fancier reduction sauce. I made this with vermouth.
While I love mushrooms, I’m aware that many really don’t like them, so in place of the mushrooms, you may want to substitute some of these simple herbed potatoes. That way, it’s a complete meal in one pan! Just add a green veggie and you’re done.
Cooking With Vermouth Is Better
I cook a lot with wine–which is funny because I don’t drink it often. The flavor it imparts to food is amazing. As you probably already know, heat burns off the alcohol so you’re only left with the taste.
My old standby for cooking is white wine–be that chardonnay or sauvignon blanc. However, lately I’ve taken to using dry French vermouth. I believe vermouth is flavored with herbs but don’t quote me here because I’m no expert! But if it is, cooking with vermouth can improve the flavor.
I got the idea of cooking with vermouth from watching some old Julia Child shows. She used it almost exclusively when white wine was called for. She even said that you can use either/or; it was just a personal preference. So I decided to try it and was really impressed that the food I used it in tasted better. Maybe mind over matter, but still it tasted great. I suggest you try it too–see what you think.
Sautéing the perfect mushroom means using a relatively high heat. No low-an-slow here.
The fat you use should be almost at the smoke point and you have to keep those mushrooms moving in the pan. That way, all the flavor is sealed in. The flavor is wonderful–in this dish or in many others.
Chicken with White Wine & Mushrooms
- 1 recipe of Simple Sautéed Chicken see NOTES
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms cut in quarters or whole small button mushrooms
- 1 tbs finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic crushed through a press or diced very finely
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine or dry white vermouth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Follow the sautéed chicken recipe up to removing it from the pan and keeping it warm. Don't drain out the pan. You will not be making the reduction sauce in that recipe.
- Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic to the pan you sautéed the chicken in. Cook over medium-high heat until mushrooms begin to get browned.
- Add the chicken stock, wine and cream; stir to combine. Continue cooking over medium-high heat until the sauce is reduced by half.
- Add the chicken back to the pan to heat through.