As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Slow Cooker Chicken & Vegetables|
A complete and thoroughly delicious ranch-flavored chicken and veggies all from your crock pot.
This post departs from my usual image-filled posts–reason being my sister is visiting and we’ve been spending time catching up. So I just grabbed my iPad instead of my regular more sophisticated camera, and snapped this pic. We were hungry too–all that chattering really wears you out! 😉
I was dying to try this version which came from member Lisa W of my Facebook crock pot group. There’s another version with a different flavor that was originally made by my friend Sarah of The Magical Slow Cooker. Those versions use boneless skinless breast, but I substituted thighs since I really am not fond of the texture of breast meat from the slow cooker.
It’s very easy to prepare and the results are just wonderful. We devoured it.
I do suggest using the ranch seasoning mix that I link to in the ingredient list. I made this up especially for when I had to combine ranch dressing mix with a prepared dry gravy mix so I could control the salt. Many things made with this combo taste very salty to me so I made up Missy’s recipe and used half the salt called for in her version. I also used unsalted butter. I might add that this homemade version is far superior to the packets you buy in the store.
Slow Cooker Chicken & Vegetables
- 4 large chicken thighs or small chicken leg quarters
- 1 lb fresh whole green beans cut off stems
- 4 medium red potatoes cut in chunks
- 1 envelope chicken gravy mix
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing/seasoning mix*
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup water
- *You can also use the dry commercial ranch salad dressing mix
- Place chicken pieces in center of a large (6+ quart) crockpot. An oval crock pot is a great help here if you have one.
- Place green beans on one side of the chicken, the cubed potatoes on the other side of the chicken.
- Mix the gravy mix and ranch dressing/seasoning in a small bowl. Distribute it over the chicken pieces only. Place butter on top on the dressing/gravy mixture.
- Pour half the water over the potatoes and the remaining half over the green beans.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours; on high 5-6 hours.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.
Follow The Midnight Baker’s board Midnight Baker’s Slow Cooker Recipes on Pinterest.
Missy Rakes says
What a great recipe! Thanks for linking to my ranch seasoning mix!
Judith Hanneman says
Missy, that is the BEST tasting mix I've ever tasted.
If u don’t have gravy mix could u use a jar of gravy?
Judith Hanneman says
I’m pretty sure you can–although you’d have to eliminate some water. I’d use 1/2 the water (you can always add more later). I’d use 1/2 the butter too.