As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Herb sautéed potatoes is a tasty side dish or with eggs at breakfast. This potato recipe wears many hats.
Versatile Potato Recipe
These sautéed potatoes wear many hats. They are equally good for a dinner side dish and with eggs at breakfast.
Another great thing about these potatoes is that by varying the herbs used, they become totally different each time you make them. My favorite herbs for them are fresh thyme and fresh oregano or marjoram. Rosemary will work well too, especially when you serve them at dinner.
As always, I recommend using fresh herbs because they give the freshest flavor. If you don’t have access to fresh, then the amounts you’d use for dry would be half what I state for fresh.
Start With The Right Potatoes
To make these, you have to use a potato that’s not floury in texture.
Here in the US, the best potatoes to use would be red-skinned potatoes, new potatoes or Yukon gold. The only ones I’m sure would work if you’re in the EU or UK would be new potatoes. I’d shy away from maris pipers and King Edwards due to their floury texture.
Great British Chefs has a good run-down on potatoes that you may find helpful as I am not familiar with many of these varieties.
Now that you have the right potato for the job, you have to dice them and keep them in slightly acidic water until you’re ready to use them. Just fill a bowl with cold water and add a drop or two of lemon juice or white vinegar. Then when you’re ready to start cooking, make sure they are as dry as can be. For this job, I use a highly absorbent bar towel.
Different Herbs Different Potatoes
This is another one of those “master recipes” that employ the same basic ingredients each time but are made into something different by additions.
In this potato recipe, it’s the herbs. The potatoes will taste entirely different according to what herb you use. As I mentioned before, thyme, rosemary, oregano and marjoram are very good choices. It may sound crazy, but mint might be good if you intend to serve these with fish (especially salmon) or lamb.
Herb Sauteed Potatoes
- 4 cups cubed potatoes--red new or Yukon gold
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp of your favorite herb
- 1 tbs finely minced onion
- 2 tbs parsley
- 1 tbs butter optional
- Dry cubed potatoes either in a tea towel or between paper towels, Make sure they're as dry as you can get them.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and butter.
- When butter foams, add the potatoes and fry until all sides are crisp and golden. Add the salt, pepper, onion and the 1/2 teaspoon of the herb you are using.If there are some pieces that need further cooking, cover pan and cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Add parsley and toss to coat. Add the 1 tablespoon of butter, if you are using it, and toss to coat the potatoes.