Hearty pierogis and smoked sausage in a simple cream sauce make this one spectacular and very easy dinner!
Seriously. All prepared food, little prep and something that tastes like you fussed is really something special.
|So many ways to make this special and different|
You can change this up by the cheeses you use to top it and even the flavor of the pierogis. I used a mixed cheese variety–which was all my store had (hello??? selection???)–but I think this would taste even more super with an onion/cheese variety.
Another way I’d like to try this is to use again an onion or mixed cheese pierogi, substitute cheddar cheese soup for the mushroom and Italian sausage for the Polish sausage. Endless combos can make this special each time!
- 2-3 boxes (16 oz) pierogis
- 2 cans (10.75 oz each) cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups milk
- 16 oz smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Cook pierogis in a large pot of boiling water until pierogis float; about 5 minutes. Drain and place in prepared dish.
- Cut the sausage into ½-inch pieces and distribute evenly on top of the pierogis.
- Mix the soup and milk in a bowl, gradually adding the milk so that the mixture is smooth with either no or very few small lumps. Pour soup mixture over pierogis and sausage.
- Top with shredded cheeses.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Serves 4-6.
|Pierogi and Smoked Sausage Casserole|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.Yum