As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
One of my mother’s treasured recipes. Comfort food at it’s best.
This is a recipe my mother transformed. Originally, she said, the filling was mashed potatoes. She thought it would taste better with a soft-bread stuffing. What do they say? Mother is always right? YEP!!
Mine never looks as good as my mom’s. Her stuffing stayed relatively white. Mine doesn’t…however, it tastes the same, and that’s what counts!!!
This is made like a jellyroll. The ground beef is rolled into a rectangle, the stuffing is spread on top of the meat, then rolled up. She cooked this in a “V” roasting rack so it never sat in the fat. The use of the roasting rack is optional, of course, but I suggest using it, especially if you are watching your fat intake.
- 1 1/2 lbs very lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tbs parsley
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place a rack in a roasting pan
- Mix all stuffing ingredients in a bowl; set aside
- Roll out ground beef between 2 sheets of waxed paper to make a 12 x 8-inch rectangle.
- Spread stuffing on top of meat and roll up, jellyroll style, from shorter end. Seal seam.
- Place meatloaf on rack in prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until center of meatloaf is 160 degrees F