As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These pork chops look fancy and taste delicious but the secret is they are quick and easy enough for a mid-week meal!
Next to chicken, pork chops are one of my favorite meals to eat so I’m always looking for inspiration when it comes to cooking them. I love them breaded and baked (or fried), but sometimes I want something warm and comforting but from one skillet!
That’s what we’ve got here–and they are easy as can be!
I had some button mushrooms left over from another project and wanted to use those. I sliced those in half, but if you want to use them and not be bothered, they are small enough to add whole. An equal amount of larger ones sliced will work too.
I love mushrooms and feature them a lot in my recipes, but I realize that lots of folks don’t so you can adapt this recipe by leaving them out and using cream of celery soup and pork or plain brown gravy mix. It’ll still taste super!
If you use thin-ish chops, ones 1/2-inch or less, the meal is done in about 30 minutes. If you use thicker, it’ll take about 40 minutes, but it’s still a quick and easy dinner that won’t dirty all your pots and pans!
I prefer to use bone-in chops, but boneless can be used instead if that’s what you have or prefer. Having the bone adds a bit more flavor, which is the reason I tend to use them–especially with slow cooking–but as this is a quick stovetop recipe, I don’t think there’d be much, if any, difference in taste.
FYI whenever I’m using a commercial gravy mix or any commercial seasonings, I use a reduced-sodium variety of any canned soup! I highly recommend that for any recipe. You can always add salt at the table, but unfortunately, you cannot remove it from the cooked dish!
Skillet Pork Chops in Onion Mushroom Gravy
- 4 rib sirloin or center-cut pork chops
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 8 oz button mushrooms*
- 1 packet dry mushroom gravy mix pork or brown gravy mix may be used as well
- 1 can 10.75 oz reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or water
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- *equal amount of larger mushrooms, sliced, can be substituted
- In a small bowl, mix the gravy mix with the soup; set aside.
- Heat a large (12-inches +) skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and butter to melt
- Brown pork chops well on both sides; remove from pan.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms to the pan and saute for about 3-5 minutes or until onion just begins to get soft.
- Deglaze the pan with the 1/4 cup wine or water (this means add the liquid and scrape up all the browned bits at the bottom of the pan).
- Add the soup mixture and stir to combine with pan contents.
- Add the pork chops back to the pan, bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.