As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken in bacon mushroom cream sauce is out-of-this-world delicious. Easy to make too.
Chicken In Bacon Mushroom Cream Sauce
If you’re looking for a really deliciously gourmet meal that’s easy to make, this recipe is for you.
While it’s fancy enough for a “date night” or guests, it’s equally great as a weeknight family meal. The reason for that is that it is easy.I know I say this a lot but some of the best-tasting meals are those with the simplest ingredients and are ridiculously easy. That pretty much sums up this recipe. And I bet you have most, if not all ingredients on hand too!
I used boneless skinless thighs for this. The original recipe called for skin on, bone in thighs. Honestly, that’s what I prefer but I had a package of the boneless skinless in the freezer so that’s what I used. And my followers know my mantra of “use what you have.” In this recipe, I feel the boneless skinless actually work a bit better. Since the sauce contains cream and bacon, the extra fat would probably detract from the flavor. Trust me, I’m NO health nut but sometimes fat is overkill. Personally, I’d rather have bacon and cream than chicken fat. Don’t think I’m alone there.
Chicken breast would work just as well. I’m sure mostly everyone has these in their freezer as they are on sale quite frequently. However, if you do opt to use boneless skinless breasts, I’d advise pounding them down with a meat mallet so the thickness is pretty much even. That way, you won’t have the thin parts overcooked.
Don’t Like Mushrooms?
Simple–leave them out and this dish is just as good.
You can always add some spinach or peas if you leave out the mushrooms. In fact, either of those would be a great addition even with the mushrooms.
Chicken Thighs in Mushroom Bacon Cream Sauce
- 2 tbs oil divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 6 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine or vermouth
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 5 slices bacon cooked chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Season chicken thighs with the salt, pepper & Italian seasoning.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet and brown chicken over medium-high heat on both sides; remove from pan.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the same skillet and sear the mushrooms until they begin to brown. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the thyme and the chicken back to the pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the chicken tests done.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add the bacon, cream and salt. Cook over medium heat until the sauce is reduced about 50 percent and it coats the back of a wooden spoon.