As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
FROM KITCHEN “DISASTER” TO TREASURED RECIPE
I’ll begin by saying, “I HATE meatloaf.”
Always have since I was a child. My kitchen odyssey has been at times
to experiment with this hated dish to see if I could come up with
something the least bit palatable–to me at least.
I thought breakfast sausage
might do the trick since I always liked that at least. With the thrill
and anticipation of yet another kitchen experiment, I happily started
defrosting my bulk sausage roll and a pound of ground beef that weren’t
working too hard in my freezer. Come to discover I was out of plain
breadcrumbs and didn’t feel like trekking to the store just for that, so
I figured a substitution of some Pepperidge Farm poultry stuffing that I
still had in the bag would fill the bill rather nicely.
|Delicious and unusual meatloaf|
So I get everything mixed up nicely and ready to shape, when to my horror, I discovered I’d bought and mixed in MAPLE
flavored sausage. A bit saddened at this potential waste of good food
(dogs were excited though LOL), I shaped and baked this anyway.
After about 30 minutes, a very appetizing aroma was coming from my kitchen. I couldn’t believe this; meatloaf???? Smelling good??? I couldn’t wait to taste test this.
I’d found it! From these potential disasters often come treasured
family favorites. This is one of them and here it is.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 oz maple-flavored bulk sausage
- 1 cup dry poultry stuffing such as Pepperidge Farm
- 2 tbs warm water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbs finely chopped onion
- In a large bowl, add stuffing mix and onion. Add 2 tbs of warm water and toss to coat. Crumbs should not be wet, just slightly damp. Let this stand until water is absorbed, maybe 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Shape into loaf and bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until internal temperature is 160 degrees (it will rise to 170 during the standing time). Slice and serve. Mashed potatoes go nicely with this, and of course, gravy that you can make from the wonderful drippings.
- Slow Cooker Directions: Mix and shape as directed above. Place in a 5 quart slow cooker (preferably on a rack) and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, HIGH 3-5 hours.