As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bring out your crockpot and keep the kitchen cool with this delicious hoisin pot roast.
Beat The Heat
Never think of using your slow cooker in the summer? It’s something you should think about because you can make great dinners without heating your kitchen. This is especially good if your family is craving good old comfort food. Comfort food is one of those year-round things so this is where your slow cooker comes in handy.
So if your family is craving some delicious pot roast, here’s a great recipe for one that’s very easy, uses a minimum of ingredients and tastes fantastic.
Hoisin Pot Roast?
I bet you never thought of hoisin sauce and pot roast together.
Admittedly, it’s not the standard flavoring used in most pot roasts, but that’s exactly why you should be thinking of the two things together.
Hoisin sauce is well known as an Asian condiment and it’s readily available in any supermarket. You’ll find it where the soy sauce is kept. It’s thick and sweet, but not overly so. It also has a pleasant slight tartness and that is a perfect medium for the bold flavor of beef.
In fact, the cooking liquid is just hoisin sauce and a bit of water. You can’t get much simpler than that.
This roast is tastiest when made with either chuck or rump roast as they are the most flavorful cuts. Other cuts may be used, but you’re wise to keep to the two that I mentioned.
If you plan to use chuck, the cook time is dependent on the shape. For instance, if you have what looks like a thick steak, then your pot roast will be done quicker than 8 hours. On the other hand if it’s shaped like a lump, it will require the full 8-10 hours of cook time.
Hoisin Pot Roast
- 4 lb beef chuck rump or bottom round roast
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 plums pitted and cut in half, see NOTES
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbs oil
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown roast on all sides.
- Lay chopped onion in the bottom of a slow cooker--a 5 quart/5 liter or larger.
- Place browned roast on top of the onions then mix the hoisin sauce with the water and pour it over the roast. Top roast with plums.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, high 4-6 hours. Times are approximate depending on your slow cooker as they all differ slightly.