As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Yummy marinated flank steak and crisp bok choy makes a quick stir fry dinner without heating the kitchen.
Flank Steak For Quick Stir Fry
I’m a big lover of flank steak. In fact, I stock up on it for summertime BBQs. It’s tender when marinated and sliced correctly. It practically melts in your mouth.
However, I had so much flank steak left over in the freezer from last summer, I had to start thinking out of the box on how to use it up. Since it works so well with marination, I figured it would be perfect to use in a quick stir fry dinner.
Marinate For Great Flavor
While many meats, including beef, don’t really require being marinated to use in a stir fry, it’s recommended you do so for this recipe.
The marinade here is basically the one I use for a whole steak when I grill it. You could even use a store-bought Asian-style marinade if you wish. They are all quite good.
With flank steak it is especially important to make sure you slice the meat correctly. Always slice the meat thinly and across the grain. Otherwise the meat will be tough. That applies whether you grill a whole steak or slice it for a stir fry.
Bok choy is the main vegetable element in this stir fry dinner. However, you can add in any additional crispy veggies that you have on hand and feel would “go” with the general taste. I used up some red bell pepper that would have otherwise gone bad.
Another great thing about using additional vegetables is that it extends the number of people you can feed with this dish. In stir fries, meat is actually a condiment instead of the main focal point, so using a larger amount of veggies is actually more authentically Asian.
Beef & Bok Choy
- 1 lb flank steak cut in thin strips
- 3 ribs bok choy cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut in thin strips
- 2 green onions chopped for garnish
- 2 tbs oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbs dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs dry sherry
- I clove garlic
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 drops sesa
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Add the steak strips, toss to coat. Place in a plastic zipper bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Drain marinade from the steak. Discard marinade. Add the steak to the hot skillet and stir fry until it’s cooked and starting to brown.
- Add the bok choy and bell pepper and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, depending on how crisp you like your veggies.
- Stir the sauce so that the cornstarch is dissolved. Pour the sauce over the meat/veggie combo and stir until thickened. Cook for one additional minute so the cornstarch cooks through.
- Serve immediately with rice.