As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What better way to start Saturday or Sunday than with a weekend breakfast of scrambled eggs in a nest of hashbrown potatoes?
There’s something very special about weekend breakfasts. Since the work week is over, you’ve slept a little later and can linger a little longer over breakfast.
Because there’s more time on weekend mornings to prepare a fancier breakfast, these special scrambled egg cups are just the ticket. You’ve got all the elements of a diner-style breakfast but all in one package. They are easy to prepare and there’s nothing very involved in the preparations. If you can make scrambled eggs, you’ve got this!
Eggs Dressed Up Or Down
The filling for these nests is scrambled eggs.
You can dress them up or down depending on what extras you have on hand. The basic add-in here is bacon. Bacon can be prepped in advance so all that’s necessary is dicing it when the time comes to prepare these egg nests.
You can easily substitute cooked and crumbled sausage for the bacon. The choice is, of course, up to you and what you have on hand.
The other basic add-in is shredded cheese. Here, you can use any variety of cheese you like–and have on hand. You can also combine cheeses. What I did here was use a Mexican blend and added in some finely dice jalapeño for a little zip.
My other “secrets” to creamy scrambled eggs is cooking them over medium-low heat and putting some cream in them.
These are nice with my orange breakfast rolls.
The best choice here is to use prepared refrigerated hashbrowns. Just a reminder that it’s the shredded kind–not the patties.
The refrigerated potatoes are the easiest choice because they’re ready-to-use and are dry enough to use right out of the package.
If all you have are frozen shredded potatoes, take them out of the freezer the night before so they are completely defrosted by the time you make these egg nests. Remember to dry them well by either using several layers of paper towels or squeezing them in a clean tea (dish) towel.
The last option is to make your own. That does involve some work and if you completely prep them ahead, they will discolor so keep that in mind. However, the discoloration isn’t spoilage at all and there is no “off” taste.
Hashbrown Egg Nests
- 20 oz refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cream see NOTES
- 1/4 cup milk see NOTES
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs butter
- 6 slices cooked bacon crumbles
- 1 jalapeño diced, optional
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Spray a standard 12 muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Divide the potatoes up between the cups in the pan. Press into the bottom and up the sides. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While the potatoes are baking, whisk the eggs, cream, milk and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and pour in the eggs. Stir until eggs are set and no liquid egg remains. Add the bacon, jalapeño and 3/4 cup of the cheese; stir until cheese is melted.
- Divide the egg evenly between the cups. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.