As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s Soup Weather
In the winter, my thoughts turn to soup for dinner since it’s a warm bowl of comfort on cold days.
This ham and broccoli cheese soup fills the comfort bill many times over. It combines two of my favorite cream soups–cream of broccoli cheese and cream of ham and potato. Another good thing about this soup is it uses up bits and pieces you may already have on hand already. I used up the last of my New Years ham, the remains of a bag of chopped broccoli and that bit of shredded cheddar I had in the deli drawer.
Have A Souper Super Bowl
As many of us are aware, the Super Bowl is right around the corner and if you’re having a little party you’re thinking of food for that.
In addition to that big crockpot full of chili, why not have a big crockpot full of this soup as well? Even though this ham and broccoli cheese soup isn’t made in the slow cooker, you can use the cooker as a buffet server because of the warm setting. It offers another choice for those who are not fans of chili.
It’s Easy Too
The surprising part of this soup is how quick and easy it is. There’s no “all-day” cooking involved here. From start to finish it should only take about 30 minutes. But don’t let that on to anyone who raves about the great flavor. Let that be your secret!
I always use heavy cream in my cream soups because it tastes wonderful and an old chef friend once told me that heavy cream is a must in a cream soup. That may sound redundant, but I got what he meant. You don’t need much and it’s worth it. Honest!
I like cream soups pretty thick, but if you don’t, omit the thickening.
Ham and Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 3 tbs chopped onion
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 cup diced red potatoes or yukon gold
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese white preferred
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan or stock pot. Add the onion and cook until it's translucent.
- Next add the potatoes, broccoli salt, thyme, basil, pepper and chicken stock. Cover, reduce heat and cook until potatoes are just tender; about 10 minutes.
- Mix the thickening ingredients well so there's no lumps (thinkening is optional) and whisk into the soup. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes to cook the flour.
- Stir in the cream and shredded cheese. Simmer until cheese melts.