As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Oven cube steak is one of those recipes that is so simple, that you’re amazed how delicious it is.
Easy Oven Cube Steak
I’m here to say this is one of the easiest recipes I ever made. Incidentally, I was a bit dubious that something so simple and with so few ingredients could be so darned good. That’s something I never seemed to learn either.
Since it’s winter and running the oven isn’t such a bad thing, I really encourage you to try this. It has a rather long cook time, but don’t let that fool you. This cube steak is tender, juicy and amazingly delicious.
Start With A Good Stock
The tastier your stock, the better this meal will be.
If you make your own stock starting with roasting/browning the bones, that’s an excellent choice. I’ve done it and I won’t lie–it’s time consuming. However, you end up with a finished product where you know exactly what’s in it. You can’t beat that.
Most times I don’t have the inclination nor the time to make my own. Yes, even with an Instant Pot which speeds up the process. Fact is, I got pretty lazy in my old age and mostly use stocks that are available in the supermarket. There are many good ones. And even though I’m pretty frugal, this is one place where I don’t pinch pennies with a store brand. If it’s labeled “rich stock,” believe it. It’s good. I often use the concentrated ones referred to as “bases.” They have a long shelf like and if you buy ones made with real chicken or beef, they’re comparable to your own homemade.
The original recipe on Just A Pinch had nothing added in. It was just the steaks and gravy.
Since I love mushrooms and had some baby bellas in the fridge, I added those. Of course if you hate mushrooms, don’t add them. But onions would be nice and some peas or carrots would make the meal complete.
Oven Cube Steak
- 2 lbs beef cube steak
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms thickly sliced
- 2 tbs oil divided
- 32 oz beef stock
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C
- Mix all seasoned flour ingredients. Reserve 1/4 cup for thickening.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dredge cube steaks in the seasoned flour and brown on each side--about 4 minutes per side. Remove to a plate when browned.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Saute the mushrooms until they start to get brown. Remove them from the pan.
- To the same pan, add the butter and let it melt. Whisk in the reserved flour so you get a nice smooth paste--this is called a roux. Let the flour and butter cook for 2 minutes so the flour cooks.
- Whisk in the beef stock and stir until it begins to thicken.
- Place the cube steaks and mushrooms in a 13x9-inch/3L oblong pan. Pour the gravy over the steaks/mushrooms, then cover with foil and bake for 2 hours.