Flavorful ground beef with sliced potatoes in a creamy and cheesy sauce! The family is sure to love this layered casserole!
Cheesy Beef And Potatoes Comfort
Now here’s a real comfort meal if I ever saw one!
Someone pinned the original recipe to one of my Pinterest boards. It caught my eye immediately because this is something that I know I’d LOVE. And I will be a regular visitor to this blog, Bushel and a Peck, because I love Amy-Lyn’s style! Like me, she lives “in the sticks” (as she puts it) with her animals and family. She has a wonderful sense of humor from her writing and I just love her stories. She’s an artist as well and I so enjoyed looking at her acrylics and pencil work.
But back to the recipe–this one is very easy. I do suggest the use of a mandoline to slice the potatoes so they layer nicely and are done in the amount of cook time. It’s easy to assemble so there’s really not much work involved there.
Amy-Lyn suggested cream of mushroom soup and she used her leftover homemade, but said the canned stuff would do. If you don’t like that choice, I’d suggest cream of celery or golden mushroom here–of course if you hate mushrooms, that’s not an option so I’d go with the cream of celery or even cheddar cheese soup.
This honestly tastes wonderful. I ate two heaping portions and it reheats well too. I had it again the next night and it was still, if not more, tasty. In this biz I eat a LOT of leftovers!!!
One tip is I didn’t add salt to the meat. The cheese and the soup (if you’re not using low-sodium soup) were enough salt for my taste. If you’re undecided, it’s safer NOT to salt the meat. You can always add at the table.
Watch The Video
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin (about 3 cups)
- 1 can (10.75 oz) cream of mushroom soup
- ¼ cup cream
- ½ cup beef stock
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Lightly grease an 11 x 7-inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Brown ground beef and onion; drain
- Mix the soup, garlic powder, pepper, stock and cream in a bowl
- Layer half of the potatoes in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Pour half the soup mixture over the potatoes.
- Top with half the ground beef mixture
- Sprinkle half of the cheese on top
- Repeat with second layer.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in pre-heated oven.
- Check for potato doneness in center of casserole after 1 hour. May be cooked an additional 30 minutes if potatoes are not soft after 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let casserole stand for about 10 minutes.
- Slice it lasagna style and serve.
- SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS
- Brown ground beef & onions as in main recipe; drain.
- Layer as in main recipe, but in a large slow cooker.
- Omit covering with foil as it will be covered with the cooker's cover
- Cook approximately3-5 hours on high, 6-8 hours on low (times are approximate as all cookers cook differently. Always check at the minimum time listed.