As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup|
This cream of broccoli soup takes less than 30 minutes to make!
I got this method from an old friend who used to cook in a restaurant and was famous for her soups.
For years, I thought making restaurant-worthy soups was a time consuming activity; Lori told me, “No way,” because in a restaurant, you just don’t have the time.
|Quick and easy|
I’ve used the basic broth, cream, cornstarch method for many cream-based soups. The only caveat here is you must serve it that day. It reheats, but it has to be thickened again. My Cream of Ham & Potato soup comes right from Lori and it’s a real favorite. Same with my New England Clam Chowder.
Of course, it tastes just as good if it’s not thick!
Try it with your favorite add-ins.
Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 pkg 10 oz frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk*
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add the celery, onion, thyme, salt and pepper. Saute until onion is tender--about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock cubes, broccoli and 3 cups of water. Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch and the 1/2 cup water.This is a LOT of cornstarch but you have to end up with the consistency of a pudding so you must use a lot. Stir in the cornstarch and when bubbles begin to rise to the surface, slowly add the heavy cream, blending well. Stirring constantly, add the shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- If the consistency is too thick for you taste, you can thin to the desired consistency using the *milk. Use just enough milk to get it to the consistency you prefer. I use about 1/4 cup of milk, but mileage may vary.
- Serve immediately (as thickened products that use a cornstarch base will break down quickly).
- Serves about 6.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.