Much like the dreaded meatloaf, I was never a lover of chili. My late husband used to beg me to make this for him, and I just could never bring myself to do it. Fortunately, a neighbor satisfied his chili lust by sending over a doggie bag of hers whenever she made it.
A couple of years ago, I had chili on the brain, for some odd reason, so I decided to try this again. I pinpointed my dislike for the dish–cumin. I’m not a fan of this spice at all. I was reviewing a cookbook for slow cookers and found a recipe that did NOT include this, so I gave it a go.
The results were surprising. I ate 3 servings. I offered the leftovers to Lori W. when she dropped by. She was another “chili hater,” but said she’d give it to her husband for lunch because he liked it.
I might add she called me the next day to tell me that her hubby didn’t get a single bite because SHE ate it all. Another convert!
Anyway, here it is, and it’s an excellent dish to make ahead for the Super Bowl. Leave it in the crockpot on warm and let the football fans help themselves.
You can cut the chili peppers down or out if you want. This particular recipe has a bit of heat to it…not much but some.
Chili Hater's Chili
Author: Judith Hannemann
- 1 lb lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed
- 1 - 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 can Rotelle tomatoes (chopped tomatoes with green chiles)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1-2 long, dried chile peppers
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Brown ground beef with chopped onion and minced garlic until meat is brown and onion is translucent; drain and add to slow cooker
- Add the remaining ingredients to slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours.
- Serve with rice and top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese.