- 1 box chopped spinach, drained and pressed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 beaten eggs
- 8 oz bulk sausage, browned and drained
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbs dry plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 48 small phyllo cups (about the size of mini muffins) -OR-
- 2 rolls refrigerated crescent roll dough
Mix together all ingredients except phyllo cups.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place a heaping teaspoon of spinach mixture in each cup. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until filling is set and phyllo cups are golden brown.
If using crescent roll dough, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place about 1 tbs of filling at the wide end of the triangle and roll up as for crescent rolls. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
If you prefer to make the cups from phyllo sheets, you will need approximately 12 sheets and 1/4 cup melted butter and a mini muffin pan.
Separate the stack of 12 sheets in to 2 stacks of 6 sheets. Brush layers with melted butter and cut into 3-inch squares. You will use 1 3-inch stack per cup. Fit one sheet in cup, letting sides overhang. Repeat with remaining 5 sheets, overlapping each previous sheet. Repeat until all cups are filled. There is an excellent video on You Tube by “fifteenspatulas,” showing how this is done.