As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s the stuffing that makes this special! And who would know more about perfect seafood stuffing than Gulf Coast resident Mary from Deep South Dish?
If you’ve never visited Deep South Dish, you don’t know what you’ve been missing! Truly the greatest selection of good old-fashioned southern cooking on the net!
Not only will you find the basics, but many many recipes using some of the finest Gulf Coast seafood. The stuffing recipe for this eggplant can also be used to stuff flounder, shrimp and many other forms of seafood. Not for nothing, this stuffing is a meal in itself, and Mary whole-heartedly agrees there!
I eat this for a main course, but you can also buy very small eggplants and use it as a side or an appetizer. And this stuffing is every bit as good without the shrimp or crab, so it can be totally meatless and eliminating the cheese and using coconut oil or vegan butter for saute will make it vegan!
This is so tasty, it is sure to become a family favorite!
- 2 medium eggplants about 6 inches long
- 1 recipe Deep South Dish's Seafood Stuffing
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Scoop out flesh, leaving about 1/2-inch "wall." Dice scooped-out flesh and saute along with veggies in the stuffing mix.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- After the stuffing is prepared and in the bowl, mix in the mozzarella cheese.
- Brush eggplant skin and inside wall of flesh with olive oil/
- Fill cavity of eggplant with stuffing, dividing stuffing evenly between each eggplant half.
- Place eggplant on prepared baking sheet and bake 20-30 minutes or until eggplant is soft and stuffing is browned on top.
Hi Judith, just letting you know that you are in my Featured Food Blog sidebar for September on Carole's Chatter. Have a great week.