As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheesy steak bites is one of those kid-pleasing meals that adults love too.
Family Dinner Goes Gourmet
This is one of those “everyday” meals that packs a gourmet punch.
These cheesy steak bites are easy to make and they’re sure to be a hit with the kiddos. For one thing, it’s all pretty easy to put together and has ingredients that are pleasing to both adults and children.
Kids tend to love beef and cheese together or in combos. However, in this dish, they are introduced to more sophisticated ingredients masquerading as comforting favorites. This, of course, makes it popular with the grown-up crowd who like basically the same thing but at a different level.
Meat And Cheese
This uses a higher-quality of beef–steak tips.
Steak tips go by different names depending on your geographical location. They are from the tenderloin basically. Often they are called sirloin tips or flap meat. While flap meat doesn’t sound all that appetizing (at least I don’t think so LOL), it is nonetheless a nice cut of meat because it’s very tender. Sirloin is a misnomer because the meat doesn’t come from that area. If you can’t find this, or the price makes you plotz, you can use sirloin steak or any other tender steak.
Kids love cheddar cheese to be sure and you have it in this. This dinner introduces them to fontina. Fontina is smooth and creamy, but it’s very mild.
This also uses a more gourmet blend of herbs–herbs de province. However, it is used very sparingly so it’s not overpowering. If you can find a small bottle of it or have access to a store that sells herbs and blends in bulk, my advice is to take a sniff of it. If you don’t like what you smell, then don’t buy it and use my suggestions in the recipe for alternates.
Have you got an “onjun” hater in the house? Don’t despair if you do.
While young children may find the taste of raw onion objectionable, most like the flavor of caramelized onions because they are mild and sweet.
Basically you are making caramelized onion here. The flavor they add is exceptional. But if you want to play it safe, use milder, sweeter onions such as vidalia onions.
Watch The Video
Cheesy Steak Bites
- 1 lb beef tenderloin steak tips cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 large white onions thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 6 slices cooked bacon optional
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 tsp herbs de provence OR 1/2 tsp thyme + 1/2 tsp oregano mixed
- Heat a large heavy skillet (preferably cast iron) over high heat. Sear steak tips until they are brown on all sides; remove from pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and in the same skillet, add the olive oil. Place the onions in the pan, and cook for about 10 minutes or until they are soft and golden brown. Add the garlic and cook until it’s fragrant. Remove onions and garlic from the pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Wipe out the skillet and add the browned steak tips, lay the bacon on top then top with the cooked onions.
- Mix the cheeses and place evenly across the top. Sprinkle top with the herbs.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted, bubbly and beginning to brown.