As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Steak and Ale Cheese Soup|
This steak and ale soup is so rich and full of meat and potatoes, you’ll have to decide whether it’s a soup or a stew! Made easy in your slow cooker.
Tasty beef chunks, sharp cheddar cheese, ale or beer and a hint of cream. There’s nothing more satisfying on a cold winter night.
|Made easy in the slow cooker|
Slow Cooker Steak & Ale Cheese Soup
- 1 lb chuck or round cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 large potatoes cut in chunks
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp fresh thyme -or- 1/2 tsp dehydrated
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 large garlic clove crushed
- 1 can 12 oz beer or ale
- 1/2 cup cream or evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Seasoned flour:
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Mix the seasoned flour ingredients and place mixture in a plastic bag. Place the cubed meat in the bag and shake until meat is coated.
- Place meat in hot skillet, shaking off any excess flour. Brown meat on all sides. Place browned meat in the slow cooker.
- Return skillet to heat and add the remaining 1 tbs of oil. Saute the onions, mushrooms, garlic and celery until almost tender. Place vegetable mixture in slow cooker. Add the potato chunks to the slow cooker.
- Pour the can of beer over the beef/vegetable mixture. Add stock cube & thyme.
- Cover and cook on HI for 5-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours (I recommend cooking on HI as meat didn't break apart).
- Turn off cooker and add cream. Stir well. Add cheese and stir again. Replace cover and let sit for about 10 minutes. Stir again and serve.
- Makes about 4 servings.
|A bowl full of comfort|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.