As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole|
A warm and comforting casserole that can be a side dish or a main–just add leftover meat for a complete meal!
|Comfort food and you can use your leftovers!|
I added some leftover chicken to the mix, but you don’t have to do that. If you leave it out, it becomes either a meatless/vegetarian main dish or a rich side dish.
|You’ll love the buttery crunchy topping|
I used white rice in this as I was pressed for time. However, I want to try it next with brown rice. Since the rice is cooked first, the length of time for the final cooking will not be altered. Quinoa would probably be even better! So use whatever grain you want! Even leftover rice will do!
|Creamy, cheesy and delicious|
Sure this casserole is heavy on the fat, but using brown rice or quinoa packs quite a bit of fiber–as does the broccoli.
Anyway, this is comfort food at it’s finest. Enjoy!
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 10 oz frozen broccoli florets defrosted & drained
- 1 can 10.75 oz cream of chicken soup
- 2 cup cooked rice
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cubed Velveeta*
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or cream
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cooked cubed chicken optional
- 1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
- 2 tbs butter melted
- *The Velveeta may be omitted. I add this as Velveeta stops any cheese sauce from separating and keeps it creamy. I happen to like it too, but if you don’t, just leave it out.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 1.5 quart oven-proof baking dish.
- Cut broccoli florets into pieces all about the same size.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine soup, evaporated milk, butter and Velveeta. Microwave on HI for about 1 minute; remove and stir. If mixture still has large chunks of the Velveeta, then microwave an additional 30 seconds on HI. Remove and stir until almost smooth.
- Add cooked rice, broccoli, shredded cheddar, salt, pepper and chicken if using, to bowl with the soup/cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Turn into prepared baking dish.
- Mix Ritz crumbs with melted butter, so all crumbs are coated. Top casserole with buttered crumbs.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until crumbs are browned and sauce bubbles on the edges of the baking dish.
|Piping hot from the oven|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.