As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Over the rainbow mac and cheese is totally awesome since it’s so very cheesy.
Over The Rainbow Mac And Cheese
Cheese lovers will definitely be over the rainbow when they taste this mac and cheese.
This one is based off Patti LaBelle’s recipe that was so popular on Oprah’s programme. It’s quite different from the elbows and cheese I usually make that’s pretty creamy and only has one variety of cheese in it.
This over the rainbow mac and cheese has four, yes FOUR varieties of cheese in it. Now that’s a real plus for us cheese lovers. It also contains Muenster cheese which I absolutely love but never thought to include in a mac and cheese casserole.
I think I’ve heard all the jokes ever made about Velveeta and I even laugh at some. While I don’t consider it cheese per se–because it’s really not; it’s a spread–it’s a necessary ingredient in a lot of things I make. Dips being one of them, however, Velveeta forms a part of a lot of my cheese sauces. While it’s not a major ingredient, it has one very special quality–it prevents separation in any cheese sauce.
As I said, you only use a bit, but that bit helps your cheese sauce stay smooth. There’s more in this recipe than I usually use, but it works, so please don’t omit it!
Unfortunately for my UK and EU readers, Velveeta is almost impossible to find outside of the US, but there are many copycat recipes where you can make your own.
Make It Better
This is a perfect recipe for add-ins that you like.
To me, this screams for some shrimp or lobster in it. Leftover beef, pork and poultry work well too.
If you want, throw in some veggies–broccoli stands out here with a sliced fresh tomato topping. There’s so much you can do with this recipe!
Over The Rainbow Mac & Cheese
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 12 oz elbow macaroni
- 9 tbs butter divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Muenster cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 8 oz Velveeta , cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- !/4 cup dry plain bread crumbs optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2-quart/2L casserole.
- Bring the large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.
- In a small saucepan, melt eight tablespoons of the butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, mild and sharp Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and dot with the remaining one tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle with bread crumbs if using.
- Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.