This creamy chicken and mushrooms dinner is so easy to make and your slow cooker does all the work.
Few Ingredients But Great Taste
Here’s another meal that amazes me. I’ve said it many times before, but it bears mentioning yet again–I am always awestruck that such simple ingredients produce the best flavored meals.
This chicken dinner fills that bill. Another fantastic thing about it is it cooks itself in the slow cooker. No fuss and no muss either!
Condensed Soup–Canned Or Homemade
This recipe calls for two varieties of condensed soup. If you want ease of preparation, then by all means used the canned variety. One suggestion I always make about canned condensed cream soups is to use the lower-sodium variety. My way of thinking is that you can always add salt if it appears too bland for your taste, however, you cannot take it out. Furthermore, many crock pot recipes use condensed cream soup in addition to other commercial seasonings which are also loaded with salt, so by using a lower-salt version, your dish won’t come out too salty.
But now I rarely use store-bought soups since I found a great recipe for generic condensed cream soup that is not only economical, but also tastes great. This is another good way to control the seasoning to your own taste.
Thighs Or Breast
With this creamy chicken and mushrooms, you have a choice.
Since I don’t care for the texture nor flavor of boneless skinless chicken breast done in the slow cooker, I use boneless skinless thighs as a substitute whenever breast is specified. The finished texture is ever so much better in my opinion plus dark meat has more flavor. However, if you prefer breast, then by all means use them. I would caution to check for doneness sooner as I have found that breast tends to cook a lot faster when I had used them in the past.
Watch The Video
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 can (10.75 oz) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10.75 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 2 tbs instant onion flakes
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 oz crimini/baby bella mushrooms, sliced thickly or in half if small
- Mix the soups, instant onion, thyme, sage and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Spread soup mixture over chicken and top with sliced mushrooms.
- Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours, low 6-8 hours. TIMES ARE APPROXIMATE.