As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Confetti rice is a side dish that can also double as a main course! Vegetarian and vegan options too!
Delicious Side Doubles As A Main
Did you ever make a side dish that you knew could double as a main dish? This Confetti Rice falls into that category.
I have, so I know you did too! My Buttery Broccoli Cheese Casserole is one of those casseroles–hint: it’s GREAT for a Thanksgiving side–and so is this rice recipe!
Great Taste Can Stand On It’s Own
Frankly, I didn’t think this was a dish I could fall totally in love with. After all, it’s just rice and some veggies, particularly bell peppers, that I wanted to use up before they went bad. I had a handful of frozen peas I wanted to use up as well.
But somehow the flavors all came together to make something that was a lot more than just the sum of it’s parts.
This rice was so totally awesome, that I couldn’t stop eating it and actually looked forward to reheating it later on in the day.
Use any veggie combo you like in this dish. The only thing I say is necessary are the bell peppers. Use those always, but the rest you can use up those bits and pieces you have hanging around in the freezer.
Make It Vegetarian Or Vegan
The beauty of this confetti rice is you can make it vegetarian and even vegan!
For vegetarian, just use vegetable stock in place of the chicken stock–as long as butter and cheese are acceptable for you to eat (many of my vegetarian friends do).
If you want to make this vegan, then replace the butter with vegan butter, olive oil or coconut oil. And of course use certified vegan vegetable stock in place of the chicken and omit the cheese.
Watch The Video
- 6 tbs butter
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice uncooked
- 1 tbs chicken base see NOTES
- 3 cups water
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup frozen baby peas
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 small green bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1/2 small red bell pepper cut into strips
- 2 tbs Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large, deep skillet. Add the rice to the pan and let the rice toast (brown a bit), stirring frequently.
- Add the chopped onion, shredded carrot and garlic to the pan. Fry for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the water and the chicken base; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook until liquid is almost absorbed; about 10 minutes
- Add the cheese, peas, corn and peppers; stir to combine. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.