As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pot roast, green beans and potatoes cook all together in the slow cooker. This is America’s favorite Sunday dinner and it’s never been easier.
Pot Roast: A Beloved Sunday Meal
Pot roast is probably the most popular Sunday dinner.
Most likely this is because it’s easy to prepare and pretty much fuss free. There’s also many different ways to flavor pot roast. I always said, “Give me 10 people and they’ll give me 10 different pot roast recipes.” Although most of us have our favorite recipe for it and tend to use that all the time.
My outlook was pretty much the same as most folks when it came to pot roast recipes, but as I got older, I started to think more out-of-the-box when it came to this meal. I will experiment with flavors, but I do try to keep it as simple as possible.
Plan For Leftovers
Pot roast is just one of those meals that improves on the second serving.
When I make any pot roast, I always buy a bigger piece of meat so I have another meal out of the original. Not only does this taste better the next time around, it also saves you cooking another meal during the week. I call these leftovers “planned overs.” Most slow cooker meals work well as planned overs too, not just pot roast.
Entire Meals In The Crock Pot
Making an entire meal in your slow cooker is not a new idea. I’ve seen quite a few recipes for chicken dinners done this way.
In fact, that’s one of my favorite meals. I made Slow Cooker Chicken & Vegetables when my sister was visiting and she loved it so much, it’s a keeper for her as well.
I’ve never seen this done with a beef roast, but that doesn’t mean it’s not out there. There’s nothing new under the sun and this probably fits in that category too.
Slow Cooker Complete Pot Roast Dinner
- 1 can 10.75 oz cream of mushroom soup (see NOTES)
- 3 tbs au jus gravy mix
- 3 lb chuck roast
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 16 oz whole green beans frozen or fresh
- 6 medium potatoes quartered
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced in half.
- Mix mushroom soup and au jus gravy mix in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown meat on both sides. Deglaze the pan with the 1/4 cup water.
- Place browned meat in the middle of a 5-7 quart slow cooker.
- Put the green beans on one side of the meat. Place the potatoes on the other end of the meat.
- Spread soup mixture on top of meat. Pour the deglazing liquid on top of the soup mixture.
- Top with mushrooms.
- Cover and cook on low 6-10 hours, high 4-8 hours.
- Always check for doneness at the minimum time. Cook time ranges are approximate as all cookers cook differently and meat can vary in thickness.