Whip up a batch of these veggie cream cheese stuffed chicken breasts for a dinner they won’t forget. Wrapped with smoky bacon for added flavor.
More Than Just A Spread
I’ve been a lover of vegetable cream cheese for many years. Basically, I look on it as an appetizer or on crackers for a snack.
But I recently saw a recipe that used cream cheese to stuff chicken breast. It wasn’t a vegetable-type cream cheese. This filling had other cheeses and herbs in it.
One of the good things about cream cheese, especially when it comes to using it in rolled-up chicken breasts is it doesn’t melt. Because it doesn’t melt and only becomes super soft, it’s excellent for this purpose because it stays in the chicken and doesn’t come out in the baking dish.
What Veggies To Use
The veggies to use is pretty much up to you depending on your individual taste. The only vegetable that I think must be included is the green onions. Those seem to form the flavor base of the cream cheese stuffing.
When it comes to making savory-flavored cream cheese for snacking, I include green onions with any vegetable combination. Sometimes I use them exclusively and you can do that here too!
Ways To Stuff
There are many ways to stuff boneless skinless chicken breasts. If you have a method that works great for you, then use that method for making this recipe.
However, if you find this hard to accomplish (I did in the past), then this video will help you immensely. And an added bonus “Big Al” not only shows you a foolproof method, but you get his recipe for his stuffed chicken breast!
Here’s a link to that video: How To Stuff A Chicken Breast.
For More Color
Depending on the thickness of your bacon, you may find that it lacks some color at the end of the cooking time.
The bacon is definitely cooked, but I prefer some color and crispness to the bacon and what I do is pop the chicken breast under the broiler for a minute or two at the end of the cooking time. It will add a nice golden color and crisp the bacon.
Veggie Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 8 slices uncooked bacon
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 3 green onions scallions finely chopped
- 2 tbs red bell pepper finely diced
- 2 tbs green bell pepper finely diced
- 1 tbs sun dried tomatoes finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a 11 x 7 or 13 x 9-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Prepare chicken breast for stuffing as per video in the post (or use your preferred method)
- Mix all filling ingredients in a small bowl and divide into 4 equal portions.
- Place a filling portion in each chicken breast and roll up as per the video (or your favorite method)
- Wrap each roll with 2 slices of bacon and place in prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until chicken tests done--either the juice runs clear or 180 degrees F on a meat thermometer.
- If bacon didn't crisp during cook time, place it under the broiler for a minute or two--this step is optional.