These spinach and feta stuffed chicken breasts are so easy to make!
Easiest Stuffed Chicken Breasts Ever
There’s no fuss or muss with this stuffed chicken breast.
Why? Because you cook the chicken before you stuff it! In fact, this type of stuffing lends itself to this method. Other, more creamy stuffings may adapt well too, although I haven’t tested it yet but plan to do so.
You start by butterflying the chicken breasts. You can pound them down a bit too if you want because this will result in them cooking more evenly. I also find a couple of hits with the mallet tenderizes it too and that’s an added benefit.
Then all you do is brown each side which will almost cook the chicken, then stuff it to finish the cooking process and melt the cheese!
Spinach And Feta: A Winning Combination
Years ago when I tried feta cheese, I didn’t really care for it. However, a friend was recently raving about how delicious it was and convinced me to try it again. My friend said I may have had the bad luck to have tried an inferior brand.
He must’ve been right because this time when I tried it, I was amazed at the super flavor. Yes, it’s a bit on the salty side, but you can compensate for that by reducing any salt elsewhere in the recipe.
Spinach has a great flavor too, just like the feta does, but the combination is more than the sum of its parts here. Together they form something that’s taste is fantastic. And it’s oh-so great with chicken!
I had a few crimini mushrooms in the crisper so I used them up in this and it tasted wonderful. Whatever veggie you like that would go with the spinach and cheese is also fine to add. You could do some sauteed or caramelized onion in this too. That’d add a very fine flavor!
Watch The Video
Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms or white mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- Prepare filling as follows: Heat 1 tbs of olive oil in a large deep skillet over high heat. Add all ingredients, except the feta cheese. Cook, stirring constantly until spinach has wilted; remove to a bowl and stir in the feta cheese. Keep it warm.
- Butterfly chicken breasts, but do not cut all the way through. Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper if desired.
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to the pan and brown well on each side—about 8 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken and place 1/4 of the spinach mixture in each chicken breast. Return to the skillet, cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees F on a thermometer or the juices run clear.