As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Whether you make this roasted vegetable medley on the grill or in the oven, it’s an awesome camping recipe too!
Roasted Vegetable Medley–Camping Recipe, BBQ Recipe Or Oven Recipe
This veggie combo is one you can enjoy year round.
Because of the way it’s cooked on the grill, it’s easily adaptable to indoor oven cooking. When you cook it on the outside grill, it uses the indirect heat method. That essentially turns your BBQ grill into an oven.
This method is often used for low, slow cooking for ribs, brisket, etc. However, these are cooked at a higher heat, so they don’t take hours to cook.
If you go camping, this vegetable medley is perfect for “campfire” cooking too!
Use Any Assortment Of Vegetables
This is one of those recipes where you can use any combination that suits your family’s tastes.
If you don’t like mushrooms, substitute something else for them such as zucchini or summer squash. Don’t like onions? Leave them out!
The only two veggies that I would consider a must in this combo is the bell peppers and the asparagus. And now that you can get fresh asparagus year round, this can be enjoyed throughout the year. These particular vegetables are the flavor makers in this recipe and every other add-in just builds on that flavor.
Use Fresh Herbs
Whenever possible, I always advise using fresh herbs. The taste difference between fresh and the stuff in the jar is really noticeable. I grow herbs in containers outside in the summer and also have a couple of Aerogardens so I can continue to grow what I use indoors. So, I have easy access to fresh, but you can buy what you like at the store–it’s in the produce section.
I’m a thyme nut, so I tend to use that and I did in this recipe. However, rosemary would work as well as dill. Fresh oregano or marjoram too. In fact, just changing the herb will make this vegetable medley into a new dish so experiment wildly.
Roasted Vegetable Medley
- 1 lb fresh asparagus trimmed
- 1 each sweet red yellow and green pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a disposable foil pan, combine the vegetables, olives and garlic; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with parsley, salt, pepper, and thyme; toss to coat.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- To make in the oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F then follow the above instructions for the grill method