As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nothing spells “comfort” like this easy skillet dinner. The whole family will love these jazzed-up beef patties!
I think everyone has a recipe such as this in their arsenal. I haven’t made these in a while and I was reminded of them when I saw my friend Brandi, aka “Aunt Bee,” post her version of hamburger steak and gravy.
One thing I like to do is streamline seasoning. So if I can get tasty beef patties without having tons of ingredients, I opt for the simplicity. I do this in a lot of my recipes and my secret ingredient? Gravy mixes!
I get the gravy mixes pretty cheap because the dollar store where I buy my spices (they have a large selection of everything and they’re all FRESH) also sells gravy mix packets 2 for $1. You can’t beat that price and it’s even cheaper than the institutional sizes I used to buy at my discount club. This recipe uses au jus gravy mix. Some goes in the meat and the rest goes in the gravy.
These beef patties are soft–not hard and solid. The key to that is soft fresh bread crumbs. I use 2-3 slices of plain old white bread and process them into crumbs in my food processor. The more soft bread crumbs you use, the softer the beef patties.
I also use both onion and mushrooms in the gravy. If you don’t like mushrooms, leave them out. They do add a depth of flavor to the gravy, but the important ingredient is the onions.
These are excellent served with some nice creamy mashed potatoes!
And the best thing is, they can be made on the stovetop in a jiffy or in the crock pot too!
Chopped Sirloin Patties with Savory Gravy
- 1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin or 85% ground beef
- 2-3 slices white bread processed into crumbs
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp au jus gravy mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp oil for browning
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- remaining contents of the au jus gravy packet
- 1 tsp Gravy Master optional
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Mix the ground beef, soft bread crumbs, onion, 2 tbs of the au jus gravy mix and eggs in a large bowl. Divide meat into 6 equal portions and form patties.
- Heat 2 tbs. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown patties on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the sliced onion and mushrooms for about 3 minutes.
- Add water and the remaining au jus mix; stir well.
- Place patties back in pan, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Place flour and water in a jar and shake well so there are no lumps.
- Remove patties from pan, turn the heat to medium-high and whisk the flour/water mixture into the pan juices. Whisk until gravy begins to bubble. Add Gravy Master if using.
- Add the patties back to the pan, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes (this cooks the gravy).