As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Mexicali Hash Brown Taco Casserole|
Meat and potatoes in one dish. A different angle on Shepherd’s Pie.
Shepherds Pie Goes South Of The Border
The base of this casserole is a creamy taco-flavored ground beef mixture. You can leave the taco seasoning out or use other spice blends if you’d like. My recipes are never carved in stone…make them your own.
Top all this off with a crunchy-cheesy-peppery layer of hash browns and you’ve got a complete dinner in a dish!
Watch The Video
Mexicali Hashbrown Taco Casserole
- 1 lb very lean ground beef 90%
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper divided
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper divided
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 can 10.5 oz tomato soup
- 1 pkg 3 oz low-fat cream cheese*
- 1/2 cup chopped onion divided
- 2 cups Mexican-style shredded cheese divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 bag 30 oz bag frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or spray a 2 or 2 1/2 quart oblong casserole dish.
- Brown ground beef, half of the bell peppers and onion in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Drain fat from pan, reduce heat.
- Add the undiluted tomato soup, corn and the cream cheese. Stir until well combined and no chunks of cream cheese are visible. Stir in taco seasoning and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Turn mixture into prepared pan, spreading mixture evenly across the bottom.
- In a separate bowl, combine the defrosted hash browns, the remaining peppers, salt, pepper and remaining 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Top ground beef with potato mixture, pressing it down slightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until topping is browned and crispy on top.
- *If you cannot find this size, then cut off 3 oz from the 8 oz brick