Raw cauliflower and broccoli add tons of crunch to this delicious salad. Add a creamy awesome dressing and some bacon and you have the perfect salad.
Raw Equals Crunch
Broccoli and cauliflower are terrific when eaten raw.
These are two veggies that I end up eating more raw than cooked when I buy them fresh. When I am preparing then for cooking, I sneak so much raw, there’s little left to cook!
Both cauliflower and broccoli crowns were on sale this week and I took advantage of those sales. I’d recently seen a friend make something very similar to this, and I just had a taste for doing my own version.
Prepping Broccoli And Cauliflower
I always pull off the thick outer “skin” on broccoli. This is a trick I learned from my mother who told me it would cook faster and be more tender.
If the broccoli crowns are young, very fresh and tender, this is probably not necessary, but if you buy a whole head of broccoli, you may notice that the lower parts of the stem have a thick skin. If you’ve thrown this out in the past, don’t do that anymore! Just peel it with a paring knife and you have more edible portions. You could also save these stems to use with dips for a snack.
It’s not necessary to “peel” the cauliflower.
Awesome Dressing And……Bacon!
This dressing is simply awesome! The combination of flavors is perfect for the cauliflower and broccoli.
It’s got a hint of cheese and a hint of sweetness. Make a double batch and use it on green salads as well.
Another plus to this salad is the addition of bacon. Who doesn’t love bacon? And the bit of bacon added to the salad really pulls the flavors together.
If you leave out the bacon, the salad will be vegetarian (but not vegan), so if you are looking for a meatless salad or even a light lunch, the bacon can be omitted.
- 3 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 3-4 slices crisp-cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- 3 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs water
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, mix all dressing ingredients.
- In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower, broccoli and red onion together.
- Add dressing, using only as much as you need--you may not have to use the entire amount.
- Fold in the bacon.
- Cover and chill for about 2-4 hours before serving.
- Any remaining dressing may be stored, covered, in the fridge and used for other salads.