|Fajita Rice Skillet Dinner|
This fajita flavored ground beef and rice skillet dinner is quick, easy and on the table in 30 minutes or less. Did I mention it’s very tasty too?
It’s been literally ages since I bought or ate this. No particular reason, just that it kind of makes a bit too much for a side dish for just one…and I don’t wan’t to eat it for about 3 straight meals LOL!!!
I used to make quickie dinners years ago by adding leftover meat–whatever I had–to these rice concoctions and also browning some ground beef then cooking the whole lot together. I’d add veggies too lots of time. Back in the olden (also known as POOR STUDENT) days, it made a lot and it was cheap so we didn’t starve. I think the box even suggests doing the ground beef bit.
|Ready in a jiffy|
Anyway, I wanted to do a little more with it than that so I decided to take a beef-flavored one, do the ground beef bit too, but give it more flavor and turn it “Mexican.” Yep, I know they now have a “Spanish” and “Mexican” flavored variety, but not back in the day. I’m used to the standard flavors. I also like to tinker and make something “mine.”
So I had some leftover salsa from my Quinoa Stuffed Peppers that I wanted to use before it got pushed so far back in the fridge I’d forget it and it’d go bad, and I had the tag end of some shredded cheddar (use same excuse as the salsa LOL).
|Fajita seasoning and salsa add tons of flavor|
I mixed my own fajita seasoning, and I liked it a whole lot better than store bought. I didn’t put any chicken or beef bouillon powder in my seasoning as I intended to use the seasoning pack with the rice, but if you want to mix up a batch for later use and not for this, you can add 1 tsp of beef or chicken flavor bouillon powder.
Fajita Rice Skillet Dinner
- 1 box 7 oz beef flavored Rice-a-Roni
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbs fajita seasoning recipe below -OR-store bought
- 1 can 4 oz diced jalapenos (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar jack or Mexican blend cheese
- Fajita Seasoning:
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- If making the fajita seasoning given, mix all ingredients well in a small jar or bowl.
- In a large heavy skillet, brown ground beef over medium-high heat. Drain if necessary.
- Add Rice-a-Roni and jalapenos (if using) to ground beef in skillet, stirring to mix well. Add the hot water and seasoning packet from the box.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until rice is tender and water is almost absorbed.
- Add the salsa and the fajita seasoning, stirring well to blend and heat through.
- Top with cheese and sliced green onion.
- Serves 4
|Fajita Rice Skillet Dinner|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.Yum