Golden chicken is an easy meal that makes itself in the slow cooker. Easy, delicious and only four main ingredients!
Slow Cooker Golden Chicken: Little Work, Big Taste
Who doesn’t love a recipe that practically cooks itself it’s so easy and tastes great too?
You get just that in this flavorful crock pot chicken recipe, and if you have a well-stocked pantry, you have all the ingredients right on hand.
Because I don’t have a store around the corner from me, I make sure I stock my pantry well with my most-used ingredients.
This golden chicken recipe uses three very basic ingredients I always have on hand. I will stock up on these when I visit the discount grocery twice a year. I buy a case each of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup. As a side note, I’ve taken to almost exclusively using the low-sodium variety. Operating on my mother’s principle that you can always add salt, but you cannot take it out. Another thing I pick up in the discount grocery is packets of Italian salad dressing mix and, I buy my gravy mixes at a local dollar store where they are two for a dollar which is a great price.
Since I’m a “chicken head,” my freezer is always stocked with whole chickens, parts and boneless breasts.
The Extra Step To Great Taste
And that extra step is browning the chicken–or whatever meat you are using. You will be surprised at the vast difference in taste if you brown your meat before adding it to the slow cooker.
I also deglaze the pan and use either all or part of that liquid which is another key to great flavor.
This is always something I urge everyone to do in practically any of my crock pot recipes and go into more detail about this in my cookbook, “The Classic Slow Cooker.”
Slow Cooker Golden Chicken
- 8 small chicken pieces mixed between breasts, thighs and drumsticks
- 1 can 10.75 oz low-sodium cream of chicken soup (see NOTES)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pkg dry chicken gravy mix
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 envelope dry Italian salad dressing mix
- Mix soup, dressing mix and gravy mix together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-hight heat. Add oil and heat through. Add the chicken parts and brown well on all sides. Remove from pan and add the chicken to the crock pot (4-6 quart).
- Spread the soup mixture over the chicken parts.
- Deglaze the pan with the water (scrape up all the browned bits from the chicken). Add this liquid to the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours, high 3-5 hours. TIMES ARE APPROXIMATE! All cookers cook differently.
- Remove chicken and stir the gravy. Pour gravy over chicken or serve separately so everyone can add their own.