As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The secret to this delicious chicken is the marinade.
Lemonade You Say
I’ve been finding so many great and unusual uses for lemonade concentrate. Ever since I discovered it when I made my Lemonade Squares, I just keep finding more ways to use it.
So I decided to find more uses for it!
Perfect For Marinades
Most marinades contain some type of acid to tenderize meat, so what better way to use lemonade!
The fact that it’s sweet also is a plus, and to me, that makes it perfect for use with chicken. This marinade is pretty simple because it uses only three main ingredients–lemonade concentrate, oil and bruised herbs.
I used fresh oregano because I’m growing it this season. It also seems to be the only herb I’m growing this year that’s growing like wildfire. I trim it back frequently and there’s no better way to use those cuttings than in this marinade.
Glaze It Up
There’s even more lemony flavor in the glaze. A little goes a long way here because of the intense flavor. And it’s easy too. All you do is make a reduction of the lemonade concentrate.
The glaze is great plain, but you can add flavors you like to it. Some thyme perhaps or even garlic. I left mine natural and it was wonderful.
- 12 oz can frozen lemonade concentrate, defrosted, divided
- 5 or 6 sprigs fresh oregano -OR- 1 tsp dried see NOTES
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 whole chicken about 3 lbs cut into parts -OR- equivalent amount of parts
- Make marinade: In a small bowl, mix 1/2 the can of lemonade concentrate, the oregano, the oil and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place the chicken in a zipper freezer or storage bag. Pour marinade over chicken, turning the bag a few times to coat chicken.
- Place chicken in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours; overnight is better.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (see NOTES)
- Drain chicken and discard marinade.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes (time depends on size of parts)
- While chicken is baking, prepare glaze by placing the remaining half of the lemonade concentrate in a small saucepan and reduce by 50% over medium heat--about 5-8 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before chicken is done, glaze each piece with the prepared glaze.