|Buttery Broccoli Cheese Casserole|
Very simple and unbelievably delicious. I first had this when it was served at an impromptu Thanksgiving dinner given by a neighbor whose plans changed due to bad weather. She’s long since moved to sunny Florida, but I have to thank Karen W. for this recipe since it’s a real keeper. It’s a great side for ham, pork or chicken, and of course, turkey. But it’s so rich and filling, I often eat it alone as a main dish.
The casserole dish is from Pillivuyt and it’s their “Eden” line. It’s a 2 quart round gratin. Pillivuyt is made in France and this is guaranteed not to craze EVER. Their glazes are diamond-hard and this ceramic ware is durable. Of course it’s pricey, but well worth it. Revol is another French manufacturer of the same quality. I purchased the Pillivuyt dish from Amazon.
Watch The Video
- 2 – 10 oz blocks of frozen chopped broccoli
- 10 oz process cheese spread (like Velveeta), cut into cubes
- 1½ sticks butter (3/4 cup), divided
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 2 quart casserole.
- Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain well and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the cheese spread with ½ stick (1/4 cup) of butter. Stir until smooth. Add broccoli and mix well. Place in prepared casserole. In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter and add crushed crackers, mixing well to coat with butter. Top broccoli mixture with buttered crumbs.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly and cracker crumbs begin to turn golden brown.