As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Creamy mushroom chicken is fancy enough for company but easy enough for every day.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken Is A Winner
This is one of those simple yet elegant chicken dinners that serves double duty. It’s simple enough for an every-day family meal since it’s easy. It’s also got a gourmet touch that makes it excellent for a company meal.
It works better with boneless skinless breasts but is very good with boneless skinless thighs as well. There’s very little prep with this recipe and it has a short cook time. That means you can have a meal on the table in no time at all.
Prepping The Chicken
If you can get thinly sliced small to medium-sized chicken breasts, that’s the perfect variety for this recipe. If that’s the case, you’ll need six thinner breasts.
However, they’re always higher priced than the regular kind that are frequently on sale so if that’s what you have that’s what you’ll use. To prepare them properly, especially if you have huge pieces, you have to slice them in half through the middle. This is just like butterflying except you cut right through instead of leaving the pieces attached at the end.
Here’s a really good video on how to do this: Butterflying a chicken breast.
Make It New Each Time
The best part of these types of recipes is you can change the whole dish by just changing up the herbs used.
I used Italian seasoning in this.But any other herb or blend would work just as well. Flavor it to suit the tastes of your family and guests.
This also uses some dijon mustard. Vary that by using other interesting mustards such as whole-grain mustards. Those mustards will also add a bit of texture into the mix.
If you’re serving heartier appetites, this is great over pasta.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs butter divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 10 oz fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise; pat them dry.
- Add the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Dredge the chicken in the flour and brown in the hot skillet. Cook each side until it’s golden brown and cooked through, about 10 minutes total time. The chicken should be 165 F/74C at the thickest part. Remove the chicken to a plate and cover with foil.
- Add the remaining butter to the same skillet, let it melt then add the sliced mushrooms. When the mushrooms start to release water, add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Continue cooking until the water has evaporated. Remove the mushrooms from the pan—you can put them on the same plate as the chicken if you wish.
- Add the chicken stock, Dijon mustard and the lemon juice to the skillet. Let this reduce by 50%. Add the cream, stir well then add the chicken and mushrooms back to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes to heat through letting the cream reduce a bit— to the consistency of a thin gravy.