As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ll begin by saying I hate chili dogs and any derivative of it, but I LOVE this…read on…
I won’t bother with the backstory on this…let’s just say it was an “experiment” of sorts.
Never was a chili lover, and combining that with hot dogs, you got even less love.
What I did was throw on a quickie chili–this time in my rice cooker, but you could use a few of the pre-made canned stuff too. What made this good WAS the chili–best I’ve EVER made, well to my taste at least.
I’ll give the recipe as I remember it (HAHAHAHA) just in case you wanted to try it, but your own or canned as I said above, will surely work. I’d say about 3-4 cans of Hormel would be an equivalent amount.
You could substitute corn or flour tortillas for my biscuits. The biscuits stayed a bit wet underneath from contact with the chili juice, but I did not find this a big problem.
I used “high-class” hot dogs in this–Nathan’s. But I’m in New York and can buy these in the supermarket as well as Sabrett (another New York STAPLE sold by street hot dog vendors). However, your finest regional brand will do.
Extra Cheesy Chili Dog Casserole
Chili dog casserole is the perfect kid-friendly comfort food. Using extra cheese makes it even better!
Servings: 6 people
For the Chili
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef browned and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz kidney beans drained and rinsed
- thai chile pepper or hot pepper of your choice, I used one small pepper
- 10 oz tomatoes with green chiles (like Rotel)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the Casserole:
- 2 pkgs refrigerated biscuit dough extra large, like Grands
- 1 lb hot dogs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese preferably sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 16 slices sharp cheddar cheese 1/4-inch pieces (I use Kraft Cracker Barrel Sharp)
- 2 green onions scallions chopped for garnish
- Place all chili ingredients in a 7-cup rice cooker and cook until unit switches to "warm." For stovetop, add all chili ingredients to a large saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until juice is reduced by about 50 percent, about 20 minutes
- To assemble the casserole: Meanwhile, cut slices of cheddar cheese off a block of cheddar. Cut hot dogs in half crosswise (you will have 2 hot dog pieces, so you have 2 WHOLE sections of franks). Make a slit on the top of each hot dog half and insert the cheese slices. Set aside.
- Open biscuit dough and separate biscuits. Flatten each biscuit slightly. Place a cheese-stuffed hot dog portion in each biscuit and about a teaspoon of chopped onion. Bring ends of biscuit up around hot dog and seal. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease a 13 x 9 -inch baking dish.
- Place chili in baking pan. Top with biscuit-wrapped hot dogs. Sprinkle with one half of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until biscuits are brown and crusty on top. Add remaining half of the shredded cheese. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes. Garnish with chopped green onion.
Serving: 2biscuits | Calories: 815kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 29g | Cholesterol: 175mg | Sodium: 1844mg | Potassium: 901mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1533IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 877mg | Iron: 7mg