As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheesy and easy hamburger hash–a great weeknight family meal!
Now here is one great tasting meal!
It starts with economical ground beef–and there’s been great sales on that in the past couple of weeks too. Like all hash recipes, this has potatoes too. They’ve been a great price lately too. So taking advantage of these items at great prices, this meal was just waiting to happen.
The idea for this came from my good friend Maria from Maria’s Mixing Bowl. Maria posts a lot of old-time recipes on her Facebook page and this one looked very interesting and tasty. That particular recipe fed a crowd so I had to adapt it to serve less people, but I also made several changes to ingredients to use what I had on hand.
The original recipe called for frozen potatoes O’Brien that you had to thaw. Since I have plenty of regular potatoes, onions and bell peppers because I buy the peppers when they are on sale, cut them up and freeze them, I didn’t have to buy anything special for this. If you want the convenience of the pre-made frozen kind, use 1/2 of the bag–I think the entire bag is 32 oz.
The kids should love this because it’s tasty and cheesy and isn’t overly spicy. This also reheats well so don’t worry about leftovers!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Hamburger Hash
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 cups potatoes pared and diced (see NOTES)
- 1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 10.75 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup beef broth/stock
- 3/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef and drain any fat.
- In a large bowl, mix the browned ground beef, potatoes, tomato sauce, soup, peppers, onion and beef stock.
- Place in a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours, high 3-5 hours. (see NOTES)
- Stir in cheese until melted and serve immediately.