As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A touch or bourbon makes these pecan pie brownies extra special.
Brownies: America’s Favorite
Who doesn’t love brownies? They are a national favorite since there’s so many ways to make them. The ways range from simple to gourmet.
These bourbon pecan pie brownies come in somewhere in between. The base is as simple as you can get. In fact, the base is so simple it’s a mix. So as a result, there’s no work there.
It’s the topping that’s the interesting part of these brownies. It consists of a luscious pecan pie concoction to which you add a tad of bourbon. The liquor, of course, may be left out if you don’t appreciate the taste or are going to serve it to the kiddos.
The Basic Brownie
As stated, the brownie itself is from a mix. There’s plenty of varieties in these mixes now, so choose what you like. Just make sure the mix is also for the 13 x 9-inch size because that’s the size pan you’ll be using to make these. Remember you also need the ingredients that the box calls for.
Alternatively, you can make your own from-scratch brownies. Brownies are not difficult to make and you likely have all the necessary ingredients on hand. The only caveat is that with your own recipe, as for the box mix, there must be enough to make the 13 x 9-inch size.
Pecan Pie Topping
Here is where I’d say to use the high-quality ingredients. The topping is the major flavor for these brownies.
I usually lightly toast pecans, but here it’s not necessary. In fact since they are so expensive, I’d opt for buying pieces or chopped pecans. First of all, it will save time and I find they’re generally cheaper than the ones sold whole. Whole doesn’t do much here, unlike the pie where they’re decorative. Here, the topping is cooked so whole are bound to be broken just from the cooking process.
The bourbon is optional. If you’re serving this treat to grown-ups, it’s an interesting taste. However, kiddos may not appreciate the taste; the alcohol is evaporated in the cooking so no worries there. It’s just a taste that young children as a rule do not appreciate.
Pecan Pie Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix 13 x 9 size plus ingredients stated on box
PECAN PIE FILLING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs bourbon
- 2 cups pecans roughly chopped
- Preheat oven according to brownie package instructions.
- Whisk together the sugar, corn syrup, eggs, butter, bourbon and vanilla in a small saucepan. Place on the stove top over medium high heat and begin to cook, stirring continuously.
- Mix brownies according to package instructions.
- Pour brownie batter into a greased 13x9 inch pan and place in oven to bake for 20 minutes. * see note about cooking time below
- As the brownies bake the filling in the saucepan should have thicken enough to coat your spoon (about 15 minutes). Stir the pecans into the mixture and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until the mixture reaches the consistency of runny oatmeal. You want it to be loose enough to pour over the brownies but not liquid.
- When the brownies have finished pre-baking remove them from the oven and pour the pecan pie filling over them spreading it out to cover the brownies completely.
- Place them back in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the filling only jiggles slightly in the middle when you move the pan.
- Let cool to room temperature before cutting.