As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Buttery sweet potato slices with a hint of orange. Perfect for your holiday table.
Perfect For The Holidays
Since the holidays are approaching quickly, many of us are planning our Thanksgiving dinner.
I’m pretty much a traditionalist when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner, but sometimes I like to think a little out of the box on one dish. Lately, that’s been the dessert. However, this year it’s a side dish.
Sweet potatoes have always been a favorite around here, and this year won’t be any different. The only difference is they’ll be flavored with two of my favorite flavorings.
Butter For Richness
Who doesn’t love the taste butter imparts? I don’t think you’ll find many who don’t. The only downside is the fat, not the flavor.
And when I say this recipe is rich, it truly is. It calls for one cup of butter. My way of looking at it is that this sweet potato side is generally a smaller portion and Thanksgiving is a day to splurge. If it’s still too much of a good thing for you, it can be made with half the butter. It won’t be as rich, but it’ll still taste good! As always, I recommend using unsalted butter so you can control the salt.
I love the bright taste of orange–especially when combined with cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. That’s the flavorings in these rich buttery sweet potato slices.
The flavorings, however, do not overpower the taste of the sweet potatoes. They’re very subtle flavors because except for the nutmeg, you’re using the whole spice and fruit rather than the ground variety.
Whole orange slices top the potatoes so they impart a mild flavor and whole cinnamon sticks are distributed in the dish. When these are combined with the small amount of nutmeg, the flavor is unbelievably good.
Buttery Sweet Potato Slices
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes or yams peeled and sliced crosswise in 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 orange thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In an ungreased 2-quart baking dish place sweet potato slices, overlapping slightly and covering the dish. In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cook until sugar is dissolved, then add the orange slices. Pour the mixture over the potatoes, covering the entire surface.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil. Bake 40 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove foil and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until the top is golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.