As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These brownies make an elegant presentation, but are remarkably easy. Do I have to say they are delicious too?
For best cutting results, I find using a bench scraper works much better than a knife
- Crust Layer:
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- Brownie Layer:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate melted then cooled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 + 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Frosting Layer:
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbs hot water
- 9 Reserved walnut halves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 9-inch pan.
- Mix together all the crust ingredients; press evenly into pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- For the brownie layer, beat together the sugar, melted butter, melted chocolate and the egg. Mix well. Stir the flour, baking powder and salt together; stir into sugar/chocolate mixture along with the milk and vanilla. Combine well. Fold in the nuts.
- Spread the batter evenly over the crust. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely on rack.
- Prepare frosting by melting butter and chocolate in a saucepan over a low heat; stir well. Add the confectioner's sugar (I sifted mine), the vanilla and the hot water. Stir until smooth. Spread over cooled brownies and let frosting set.
- Cut into 9 bars. Decorate the center of the bar with a walnut half.
- Makes 9 brownies.