As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tender chicken breast stuffed with a rich cheese and sun-dried tomato filling. Easy to make too!
Super Stuffed Chicken
Here’s a stuffed chicken breast that’s chock full of great ingredients!
I absolutely love sun-dried tomatoes. They are much like candy to me. Not long ago, a local store had them buy one get one and I took advantage!
There’s lots of cheese too so cheese lovers will love these stuffed breasts. There’s also sauteed spinach and garlic. How garlicky you like it depends on how much you use. As a friend was going to eat this for their dinner, I went light with one clove. However, if I were making this just for me, I’d use two or even three cloves. So use the garlic in accordance with your family’s tastes.
If you want to up the ante on flavor, you can! Cream cheese is the base of this filling so it really can’t be replaced with anything else. Reason for that is that cream cheese will soften and become extremely creamy, but it won’t melt or spread much so the filling stays put inside the chicken.
However, the mozzarella can be replace with another shredded cheese you like. My first recommendation would be asiago because of its bold flavor. Crumbled gorgonzola or bleu cheese would be interesting too.
If you’re feeding younger kiddos, they may not appreciate strongly flavored cheeses, so you can use a medium cheddar, jack cheese or swiss. Or you can stick to the original mozzarella which everyone seems to like.
Now For The Veggies
I stuck to fresh baby spinach because I had some in the fridge that I wanted to use up. But this would be an excellent place to use kale if you are into it. I would say to use baby kale or young kale–whatever they call it. The “mature” on is a bit on the rubbery side an may not wilt well like the less-mature one or the spinach.
The sun-dried tomatoes I used are not packed in any oil. They’re like simple dried fruit. I haven’t tried this with the oil-packed tomatoes, but I can’t see it would alter it in any way so if you have those on hand, use them up!
Watch The Video
Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts butterflied
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 tbs olive oil divided
- 5 oz fresh baby spinach
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes cut in thin strips
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1/4 tsp basil
- pinch oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Heat 1 tbs of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the spinach and stir until it’s just wilted. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Mix all filling ingredients in a small bowl. Open the chicken breasts so they lay flat. Place equal amounts of the filling and wilted spinach on one side of the open breast then fold over and secure with a toothpick.
- Dip each stuffed breast in the cream, letting the excess drip off then coat each breast in the seasoned bread crumbs.
- In the same pan you used for the spinach, add the remaining 2 tbs of olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Brown each side of the chicken breasts just so the crumb coating browns. Remove to prepared baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the chicken juices run clear and the cheese filling is beginning to brown.