As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
In the summer you can’t always cook outside so these air fryer jalapeño stuffed chicken thighs are just what the doctor ordered.
Don’t Heat The Kitchen
Cooking outdoors is one way to keep from heating up the kitchen. However, eating stuff off the BBQ can get tiresome–and rather quickly.
So if you or the family is hankering for things you usually make in a conventional oven, don’t fret. This is where your air fryer comes in handy and big time. These air fryer jalapeño stuffed chicken thighs are one of those meals that can be done in your air fryer. Whats more, I think they taste better and the coating gets crispier.
Since the air fryer has a smaller footprint, it won’t heat your kitchen as much as your regular oven will. It’s truly a boon!
Thighs Are Perfect For Stuffing
I really prefer boneless skinless thighs to boneless skinless breasts for stuffing.
The reason is there is already a nice pocket where the bone used to be. Also, the don’t require any pounding down to make them a uniform thickness. This makes the process extremely easy.
However, if you just don’t like dark meat chicken, you can use breasts in this. Just pound the breast portion down to a uniform thickness, place the stuffing in the center and roll it up. One tip I give everyone on pounding down chicken breast is this–cut the sealed sides of a zipper freezer bag (don’t cut the bottom off) then place the meat on the cut bag, cover it with the other half of the bag and pound away. The freezer bag plastic is thick and won’t fall apart like wax paper or flimsy plastic wrap.
Don’t Like Heat?
Since jalapeños have a heat factor involved, don’t bypass this recipe if you don’t like hot peppers. While jalapeños are much milder than, say, habaneros, they are too hot for some folks.
The answer is to use mild sweet bell peppers. If you do this, roasted peppers will give you the very best flavor.
Air Fryer Jalapeño Stuffed Chicken Thighs
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup cream or evaporated milk
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- oil for spritzing
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup jalapeños finely diced
- 1/4 cup jack cheese shredded
- 3 tbs Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Mix all stuffing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Open chicken thighs with boned-out side up, Divide stuffing mixture into 8 equal portions and stuff each thigh with it--the hollow where the bone was is the perfect place to put the stuffing. Roll up and secure ends with a toothpick.
- Place cream in a dish and coat each rolled up thigh, then dredge in the breadcrumbs.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer, spritz with a bit of oil and cook for 15-20 minutes at 400F/200C. Chicken is done when the juices run clear.
- These may also be done in a conventional oven. however, allow 20-25 minutes to cook (same temperature).
- Cook times are approximate due to variations in appliances. I used a basket-style fryer 1500W.