As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Roasted red pepper relish is great on…everything! Make up a batch and see why.
Grilling Season Is Here
Yep, the grilling season has arrived! This makes grilling veggies all the more convenient–and tastier.
But even when outdoor grilling isn’t in season, this roasted red pepper relish is easy to make. You can always roast peppers in your oven when you can’t cook outdoors. Since it will be a big hit, you’ll want to make it year round.
It’s ridiculously easy to make and comes together in a flash. It lends itself to many different foods and it’s quite versatile. You can even eat it by itself! Yes, it’s that good!
Roasting The Peppers
Roasting peppers is a rather easy affair no matter which way you do it.
In order to prepare them, what I do is slice them in half and take out the seeds and the white filaments. This way, I don’t have to deal with it after they’re cooked. However, that’s a personal preference and not an absolute requirement.
You can also roast them whole, but bear in mind, the process will take a bit longer. Regardless, it produces the same results.
If you want to do them on your BBQ grill, just coat them with a bit of oil–and that’s optional–and place them on the grill over a medium heat making sure to turn them so they’re evenly seared.
In the oven, do the same as the grill in a 400F/200C oven. If you’ve got a convection setting on your oven, that’s perfect for this task. Of course an air fryer is also excellent.
If you want to easily peel the skin, again optional, all you have to do is cool them slightly and put them in a plastic bag then seal it. Once the peppers are cooled completely, the skin will just slip off.
If You Like Some Heat
For those who would like a bit of zip in this relish, then by all means substitute part of the sweet bell pepper for something with a bit of sass. My choice is my beloved jalapeño, but use whatever you like.
You can also do the whole recipe with hot peppers if your taste tends toward that. So why not make it both ways–one for the heat lovers and one for the non lovers.
Roasted Red Pepper Relish
- 2 medium onion roughly diced
- 1 1/2 cups roasted red bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tbs fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- To roast the peppers--cut them in half and remove seeds and filaments. Toss with a light coating of olive oil. If doing on the outside grill, roast over medium-high heat, skin side down, until the skin begins to blister and the skin begins to scorch. Remove and cool completely. In the oven, place skin side up and roast at 400F/200C for about 10 minutes or until skin blisters and begins to scorch. Air fryer--same as conventional oven. When cool, roughly dice.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until caramelized; about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl (oil and all) then add remaining ingredients.
- Serve warm or cold.