As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These air fryer Cajun fries can be a meal in itself.
Air Fryer Cajun Fries
In a word, these air fryer Cajun fries are awesome!
Even though they do require an extra cooking step, it’s pretty easy. Since they’re made from real raw potatoes and are cut a bit on the thick side, the extra step here is blanching them for a few minutes. If you’ve ever made french fries/chips from scratch you know you have to soak the cut potatoes for about 30 minutes in ice water. This leeches out some of the starch. I consider the blanching for a few minutes to be speedier but with the same result.
The Seasoning Mix
You have some choices with this Cajun seasoning mix. Any long-time readers will know I lost a lot of my taste for salt when my late husband had to follow a lower-sodium diet. Therefore I always go easy on salt; I did that here. My advice is to make the seasoning mix with my amount of salt. You can always add more to your taste on the finished product.
Another thing is the heat. This mix has cayenne pepper in it. You may notice that I have a pretty wide range of the amount. If you’re not into any heat, then use the lower amount. It won’t add much if any heat but you’ll still have the flavor. On the other hand if you like stuff with a good zing, use the larger amount–or more if you are so inclined.
Type Of Air Fryer
I made these in a basket-style air fryer. I prefer that configuration for several reasons. But I do see many folks have the oven style models. I believe the oven style–with the rotisserie–have a cylindrical basket that rotates on the rotisserie. You’d use that for making these fries. That would eliminate turning them using the racks and it will promote even cooking and browning.
Air Fryer Cajun Fries
- 2 large russet potatoes Maris piper in UK
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tbs Cajun seasoning from recipe below
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8-1 tsp cayenne pepper depending on taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbs Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Peel potatoes and cut into wedges. Blanch the potatoes in the boiling salted water for 4 minutes; drain and rinse in cold water. Dry potatoes with paper towels.
- Toss the potatoes with the oil and place them in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 25 minutes, shaking the basket a few times so the potatoes cook and brown evenly.
- Mix all the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle the potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix during the last 5 minutes of cook time. Shake well and you can give the potatoes a spritz of additional oil at this point.
- For the dipping sauce, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.