As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This stroganoff casserole is the ultimate comfort food. Easy and perfect for a mid-winter dinner.
In the middle of winter, when it comes to weeknight meals, most of us think of comfort food first.
You can’t get a better comfort food dish than this stroganoff casserole! When you want to feed the family and don’t want to bother with the real deal–for time or economics–that’s where this speedy casserole comes in handy.
Unlike the famous real stroganoff, the meat here is used as a condiment mainly although if you’re feeding heartier appetites, a 4-ounce portion of beef is allotted to each serving. Also instead of a tender and more costly sirloin that’s used in the real thing, this has more economical ground beef standing in for the sirloin. It may be humble, but it’s still tasty!
The sauce is made speedier by using condensed cream of mushroom soup, but that’s dressed up with some tomato paste and sour cream.
As for the noodles, I imagine any shape of pasta will do if you don’t have the noodles. It’ll taste the same. I used noodles because I liked the way it looks with them.
I’ve taken to using Panko crumbs to top lots of my casseroles lately. They add a wonderful crunch to everything and they don’t get soggy. They don’t seem to brown as well as regular crumbs, but tossing a little butter into them helps them to brown, plus they taste better!
- 8 oz uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 can 10.75 oz cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper or black pepper if white is not available
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Cook noodles as per package directions; drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 11 x 7-inch baking dish
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion, garlic and mushrooms.
- Stir in the soup, tomato paste, sour cream, salt, pepper and sugar
- Mix the drained noodles into the ground beef mixture. Place in prepared baking dish.
- Mix panic crumbs with melted butter; distribute crumbs on top of casserole.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until casserole is bubbling and crumbs are golden.
- Serves 4-6
Baking dish is Ceramiche Tapinassi and is available from Allorashop.com