As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re tired of the same old same old when it comes to meatloaf, try this Asian meatloaf.
Meatloaf is the number one comfort food according to most surveys since it’s retro and oh-so homey. For most, it was a childhood favorite and has remained so into adulthood.
However, like most things, it may need a bit of a makeover. That’s exactly what this Asian meatloaf is. It’s got mild Asian flavorings so nothing is too overpowering. It’s got an interesting texture too–from something you’d never think you’d ever add to a meatloaf.
I have to say that I like this version better than the original. See if your family agrees.
Turkey Or Chicken
This meatloaf can be made with either ground turkey or ground chicken.
I love turkey but to be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of ground turkey. Ground chicken tastes better–at least to me.
I also chose to use ground all-white breast meat chicken. Using the all-white breast meat makes this meatloaf lower in fat than it’s ground beef cousin. That’s not a big issue to me, but it definitely is for some.
Ground turkey lots of times contains fattier dark meat and skin, so does some ground chicken, so make sure to read labels if fat content is important to you.
Water Chestnuts? Yes!
Water chestnuts don’t add any flavor–because they really don’t have any–but they add an interesting crunch for a great texture.
You can buy them whole, sliced and now diced. Naturally, I wanted to save myself some work so I got the diced ones. They are available in the Asian aisle of the supermarket. They’re also nice in salads, for the same reason as here being texture so you might want to pick up and extra can for future use.
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 lbs ground chicken or turkey
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 5 oz water chestnuts diced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup or chili sauce
- 1 tsp chili paste or Sriracha
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray with non-stick spray.
- Place breadcrumbs in a large bowl and stir in the milk, making sure to coat the breadcrumbs. Let this stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground chicken, onion, soy sauce, garlic, water chestnuts, egg, salt and pepper. Mix very well.
- Mix glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- Shape the meat mixture into a loaf about 10-inches/25-cm long on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the top with half the glaze. Bake for 30 minutes. Brush remaining glaze on top of the meatloaf and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Internal temp should be 165F/75C.
- Let meatloaf rest 10 minutes before slicing.